Skip to content

Adult English and Education Schools

Official Canadian Languages

There are two official languages in Canada:

  • English
  • French

Canada provides free Language Instruction for Newcomer (LINC) and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for adults to learn the official languages. In Ontario, the LINC program is usually offered in English.

English Language Assessment

Before attending a LINC or ESL program, a free language assessment called a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Placement Test must be completed. This test measures listening, speaking, reading and writing in English. To book an assessment, please call (613) 453-8144 or email [email protected]. The assessment will take place at KCHC – Immigrant Services, 201-837 Princess Street (main office) or 263 Weller Avenue. Most language schools will be free to attend.

Kingston LINC Programs

Kingston Literacy & Skills
16 Bath Road
(613) 547-2012
CLB 1 – 4
Childcare and bus tickets may be provided

Limestone Community Education
164 Van Order Drive
(613) 542-7369
All levels accepted

Loyola School of Adult and Continuing Education
1440 Princess Street
(613) 544-3361
All levels accepted
Childcare and bus tickets may be provided

KEYS Job Centre
182 Sydenham Street
(613) 546-5559
CLB 3 and up
Bus tickets may be provided

Secondary School Education for Adults

Newcomer adults and young adults (aged 18+) may want to get an Ontario Secondary School Diploma. The Limestone School of Continuing Education offers Secondary School Day Credit Programs for adults at the Katarokwi Learning Centre (38 Cowdy Street) to earn an Ontario Secondary School Diploma. Please contact [email protected] or (613) 542-7369 to enroll.

Adults may have skills and knowledge from their past work, volunteering, hobbies and training that can be applied as school credits through a process called Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR). Please contact Immigrant Services to learn more about this process.

Post-Secondary Options

After secondary school, adults may pursue post-secondary education, such as:

  • Apprenticeships – For people who want to work in a trade such as carpentry and hairstyling
  • Universities – Offers undergraduate and graduate degrees. Queen’s University is the only university located in Kingston
  • Colleges – Generally offer diploma and certificate programs. Adults aged 19 and over can apply without an Ontario Secondary School Diploma.

St. Lawrence College offers a Career/College Preparatory Program for those who want to improve their skills before a full college program. This program is free for most students. Please call (613) 544-5400 ext. 1126 to register.

Converting Previous Post-Secondary Education

Previous post-secondary education may be assessed to help Canadian employers, schools and agencies understand what they are equal to in Canada by getting an Education Credential Assessment (ECA). They may be assessed by organizations such as:

Please confirm with the school, employer or agency to see which type of ECA they would want.