Thank you so much for your interest in supporting our program as a volunteer. Our volunteer slots are filled for the 2020-21 school year. We look forward to accepting more applications when we are able to resume larger-scale in-person programming. Please continue to follow our work on Twitter and Instagram (@P2EKingston).
Do you like to work with youth? Are you looking for valuable teaching experience? Would you like to get involved in your community?
KCHC Pathways to Education is a community-based program that empowers north Kingston high school students with the tools to succeed in school, work, and life. Our program is designed to break the cycle of poverty in families and communities by increasing neighbourhood high school graduation, post-secondary enrollment and employment rates.
Depending on the type of placement, volunteers have the choice of any weekday from Monday to Thursday.
The minimum time commitment is 1.5 hours between 3:00 and 6:00 p.m. (or to 8:00 p.m. for recreational programming on Tuesdays and Thursdays).
Our after-school programs combine tutoring and mentoring activities, and are flexible based on students’ needs and interests. As a volunteer in our program, we expect that you will:
- Commit to one evening per week for 1.5 to 3 hours to work with students in small groups or one-on-one;
- Be open to building long-term relationships with students;
- Specialize in at least one high school subject (e.g. Math, Sciences, English, French, Social Sciences);
- Share a skill, ability, or interest with our students, either formally (e.g. leading a music group) or informally (e.g. in conversation);
- Be able to work with students of various abilities and lived experiences;
- Be self-aware, flexible, open-minded and non-judgmental;
- Work with Pathways staff to support students in the way(s) that suit them best;
- Be willing to engage in additional training as your schedule allows; and
- Create a safe, anti-oppressive space for students, staff, and your fellow volunteers.
For more information on volunteering with our program, please contact Cathy Simpson at [email protected]